One very significant part of our clients business is the creation and development of the mark, logo and name. It will identify their business, creating an unique image that will also communicate values, experience and ideals. It is here where trade mark registration plays an important role and where our Firm will assist you to make sure you take all the right steps to protect your mark.
We always encourage our clients to do so and protect their IP inventions, literary, names, symbols, images and designs. Dedalos will assist you during the process, making sure that you take all the steps.
The registration and protection of trademarks in Cyprus is governed by the Trade Mark Law, CAP. 268 as amended (the “Law”). The Law has brought Cypriot trademark legislation in line with European trademark legislation.
Intellectual Property in Cyprus is divided to (a) Trademarks, (b) Patents, (c) Industrial Designs, and (d) Copyrights.
Through our Firm, our clients can apply for:
- Cyprus trade mark registrations;
- International registrations (Madrid system);
- European Community registration (OHIM).
The procedure that we need to follow :
- An application to the Cyprus Trademark Office for trademark registration must be filed by a local law firm. Relevant authorization must be issued by the trademark owner.
Also, we will assist you in deciding the classes necessary in order to best protect your trademark, we will recommend the countries or Communities where such registration should be done (via OHIM or WIPO or otherwise).
- Once filed, the application will be subject to examination as to the subject matter as well as to its’ distinctiveness. Upon successful registration (the time of registration depends to many factors) the trademark application is published in the “Official Gazette”; which officially opens the opposition period (2 months from the publication date).
- A successfully registered trademark in Cyprus is valid for 7 years and starts from the day of filing the application. The registration is renewable for further 14 years.
- In the event that the trademark has not been used for 5 years from the day of registration, it may be subject to cancellation.
Even though the process is quite simple, we always recommend to our clients to follow some indications. Before we are proceeding with the filing for a new trademark registration, we confirm that your intended trademark is available for registration. Dedalos Firm will identify similar trademarks and names, therefore avoiding unnecessary expenses and claims when possible. This will give you a clear picture of existent similitude in the Market and if you would like to proceed.